Coronet Pageant Queens

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Nat'l Little Miss Sweetheart Ava Elizabeth Helmick




Coronet Pageants is pleased to be able to make the announcement of the winner of the Supreme Queen title for Nat'l Little Miss Sweetheart. Ava Elizabeth Helmick is the daughter of Terri and Brian Helmick and the sister of Lexis and Emeline. She is a survivor of Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia. Having been given a 20-30% chance of survival at birth, Ava is quite a fighter. She survived and grew stronger and returned home with her family. Then, in words from Ava's blog:
"...on October 3rd, 2008, just a month after my 2nd birthday I got deathly ill. My Mommy took me to the doctor that Friday three times. She knew in her heart that I had re-herniated. She pushed really hard for my medical care. After almost 30 hours from my first symptom I was being air lifted to University Hospitals in Iowa City.... I spent 47 days in the hospital, most of that in the intensive care unit. I am at home now where my Mommy does all my nursing care. She tells me I am a lot of work but I know she loves me and that is why she still smiles and makes me laugh....I've been told I'm a brave little girl. God has blessed me and my family beyond measure. My Mommy feels lucky that we still here with them. I hear I have touched so many lives.
This is my story. I am told I am a Miracle. I am!"
Because of Ava's fight, her parents have done a great deal for CDH awareness. The whole family has been involved in starting an awareness walk and Terri was instrumental in having a proclamation signed by Iowa's Governor Culver.
Ava will have another surgery on June 5th to open blockages in her small bowel. Please pray for Queen Ava, Queen Terri, and the rest of the Helmick family at this time.

No comments: